Named for the quick-footed messenger of the classical Roman gods, the planet Mercury is a heat-blasted rock orbiting closer than any other to our Sun.
With a daily temperature cycle of over 700 K, Mercury experiences greater temperature extremes than any other body in the solar system. Interestingly, though, the planet spins so slowly that it would be possible to walk in twilight forever, keeping pace with the sunrise in the relatively mild pre-dawn temperatures.
About[edit | edit source]
Mercury is the first planet from the Sun and one of the five free to play worlds in TerraGenesis, the Terrestrial Planets.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Mercury is one of the most straightforward planets to terraform in the game. It doesn't have a crushing atmosphere, enough vapor to flood your planet, a tiny surface area that barely fits any cities (like the Moon) or an already established civilization facing impending doom (like Earth). Sure, Mercury is hot, but the heat doesn't seem to affect your cities in any way, not like Venus' atmosphere that occasionally crushes your buildings in Random Events.
You can just slowly start building cities, increasing Revenue, and then you can calmly terraform Mercury into a new home for humanity.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Do not use Solar Shades because it spends Credits. Try Aerostat Platforms because they generate Credits. Build many of them as much as possible to quicken the process. For Water, you need some Aquifer Networks. Too much will flood your Mercury entirely. For oxygen, build 2 or 4 CyanoVats and some oxygen plants.
AtmoGen Suites can increase oxygen levels in the air for a little bit but CyanoVats can decrease pressure, so build some thermal dusts. On the other hand, Aquifer Networks can increase Pressure so build some Sequestration Plants and wait until it is upgraded to Level X. Mind building silver, palladium and rhodium mines because they generate a lot of revenue.
Mercury has a lot of suitable places to put Cities than other planets, except for the poles that water can live there mostly so double check the elevation map. You can see the elevation map below.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mercury is the messenger of the gods and son of Jupiter in Roman mythology.
- Mercury has almost no atmosphere, meaning that its temperature wavers from 700 K (427 ºC) to a frigid 105 K (-178 ºC) in the night. It has an average temperature of 440 K (167 ºC)
- Mercury is the smallest planet in the solar system, at only 4880km. If you put the rest of its layers and its atmosphere, its diameter will be about 6 to 8 jupiters!
- It's almost impossible to orbit around Mercury, due to the large sun's influence and a small hill sphere. That's the reason why Mercury has no moons due to the small hill sphere of the planet, just ranging into about 175 thousand kilometers, about ⅓ the lunar distance.
- Mercury is one of the three worlds that you can play without money or finishing other planets. The other two are Mars and the Moon.
- Mercury has a thin atmosphere composed of oxygen, sodium, hydrogen, helium, and potassium.
- Mercury is supposed to be a large gas giant orbiting closely the sun. After a short while, the atmosphere of Mercury is stripped off due to the proximity from the sun and it got farther from the sun. The atmosphere of Mercury is gone and became a core of a gas giant.
- While Mercury is a core of a gas giant, it has an outer core (the crust and mantle) and inner core (has two layers). An unknown process makes Mercury to shrink.
- The developer put the temp to 720 kelvin but hotter than the max temp recorded is about 700 kelvin. The average temperature of Mercury is about 446K.
- Mercury should actually be Class I. It probably isn’t either because the devs did a mistake or it’s that on purpose for newcomers
- S/1974 H 1 is a hypothetical moon of Mercury that it is now known as 31 Crateris
|Terrestrial Planets||Mercury · Venus · Earth · Moon (Luna) · Mars|
|Moons of Gas Giants||Moons of Jupiter • Moons of Saturn • Moons of Uranus • Moons of Neptune|
|Moons of Jupiter||Io · Europa · Ganymede · Callisto|
|Moons of Saturn||Tethys · Dione · Rhea · Titan · Iapetus|
|Moons of Uranus||Miranda · Ariel · Umbriel · Titania · Oberon|
|Moons of Neptune||Triton|
|Dwarf Planets||Ceres · Pluto · Charon · Makemake · Eris · Sedna|
|TRAPPIST-1||Damu · Aja · Huanca · Ruaumoko · Asintmah · Ostara · Aranyani|
|Fictional Planets||Bacchus · Pontus · Lethe · Ragnarok · Boreas|
|Historical Earths||Vaalbara · Rodinia · Cambria · Cretacea · Dania · Chibania · Ultima|