Governors were added in the February 3rd 2020 update of TerraGenesis. They are unlockable characters that you can assign to each of your worlds' cities. If you have unlocked a governor on one world, they will be unlocked on every world. Each governor has effects. If you assign a governor to a city, that governor's effects will be applied to that city. A common governor has one effect, a rare governor has two effects, an epic governor has three, and legendary governors have four effects.
Unlock and Upgrade
To unlock a governor, you need to possess at least one governor card of that governor. The easiest way to get those cards is to receive three free governor cards each day by going to the 'get governors' button. From there, you can also buy governor cards for GP, or for real money.
You can also earn governor cards by completing live events.
You can upgrade governors by having more of their governor cards. There are different governor packs.
Upgrading governors increases their effects' strengths, as well as their power boost's strength.
|Level||Cards to reach this Level||Cumulative total cards||Additive effects||Reductive effects||Power Boost|
|I||1||1||+10%||-5%||+100% for 10 minutes|
|II||5||6||+20%||-10%||+200% for 10 minutes|
|III||10||16||+30%||-15%||+300% for 10 minutes|
|IV||15||31||+40%||-20%||+400% for 20 minutes|
|V||25||56||+60%||-25%||+600% for 20 minutes|
|VI||35||91||+80%||-30%||+800% for 30 minutes|
|VII||45||136||+100%||-35%||+1,000% for 30 minutes|
|VIII||60||196||+120%||-40%||+1,200% for 40 minutes|
|IX||75||271||+140%||-45%||+1,400% for 40 minutes|
|X||100||371||+200%||-50%||+2,000% for 60 minutes|
So to unlock a governor you need 1 governor card. To get that governor to level II, you need 5 more cards, so 6 in total. To get a governor to level X, you need a total of 371 cards.
Level X is the maximum level. If you get more than 371 cards for any governor, the extra cards don't seem to be counted anywhere.
Governors' power boosts grow in strength along with governor level.
There is a power boost exploit that allows you to have a boost going for hours on end. Learn more:
- Main article: Governor/Power Boost
Any effect a governor has only affects the city you've assigned them to (with the exception of Satellite construction time - see below).
- Heat Growth/Reduction - Facilities that affect your world's temperature, such as the Solar Shade, become more effective at reducing/increasing temperature. This effect can be boosted.
- Pressure Growth/Reduction - Facilities that affect your world's pressure levels, such as the Hydrogen Processor, become more effective at reducing/increasing pressure levels. This effect can be boosted.
- Oxygen Growth/Reduction - Facilities that affect your world's oxygen levels, such as the Kelp Farm, become more effective at reducing/increasing oxygen levels. This effect can be boosted.
- Water Growth/Reduction - Facilities that affect your world's water levels, such as the Ice Launcher, become more effective at reducing/increasing water levels. This effect can be boosted.
- Biomass Growth - Facilities that produce Biomass, such as the Coral Reef, become more effective at producing Biomass. If you have the Biospheres function enabled instead of the Biomass function, this effect does not do anything. This effect can be boosted.
- Biomass Consumption - Your city's population consumes less Biomass. If you have the Biospheres function enabled instead of the Biomass function, this effect does not do anything. This effect can not be boosted.
- Habitations - Your city's Hab facilities, such as the Hab Unit, can hold more population. This does not affect population growth. This effect can not be boosted.
- Population - Facilities that produce population, such as the Spaceport, will produce more population. This does not affect native birthrate, population growth caused by events such as Population Boom or population growth caused by the Space Elevator. This effect can be boosted.
- Birthrate - Your city's native birthrate increases. This does not affect population earned through facilities, such as the Children's Creche. Early game, birthrate is not very high yet, so this effect is more useful late game. This effect can be boosted.
- Revenue - Facilities that produce revenue, such as the Coral Reef, will produce more revenue. This does not affect culture revenue, earned from events. This effect does not affect revenue earned through the Space Elevator either. This effect can be boosted.
- Culture Revenue - Your city's culture revenue increases. Culture Revenue is earned through events such as The Mother Lode or The League. This effect can be boosted.
- Facility Maintenance - All of your city's facilities will have less maintenance costs. There are no maintenance costs in Beginner mode, so in that mode this effect does not do anything. This effect does not affect other costs, such as the costs the Solar Shade makes. This effect can not be boosted.
- Construction Cost - Building new facilities in your city will cost less credits. This does not affect the costs of subsequent upgrades to the facility. This effect can not be boosted.
- Construction Time - Building new facilities in your city will take less time. This does not affect the time it takes to subsequently upgrade the facility. This effect can not be boosted.
- Upgrade Cost - Upgrading already built facilities in your city will cost less credits. This does not affect the costs of building brand new facilities. This effect can not be boosted.
- Upgrade Time - Upgrading already built facilities in your city will take less time. This does not affect the time it takes to build brand new facilities. This effect can not be boosted.
Construction and Upgrade Effects and how they work
These effects will not affect construction or upgrades that have already begun when you assign construction or upgrade governors to a city. First assign them, then construct/upgrade something, and then you can unassign them before those constructions/upgrades are finished, and their effect will still work as if they were still assigned.
When you go to the 'build new facility' menu with a construction governor assigned to the city, you will not see their effects reflected in the costs/time the game says it will take to construct something, but they will still take effect as soon as you construct something. Effects of upgrade governors are immediately visible when you tap the 'upgrade' button.
Satellite construction time
Each legendary governor reduces the satellite construction time of a particular satellite, depending on the governor's faction:
- Space Elevator: Keahi Malae of the Far-Future Institute
- Soletta: Alana Lee of the Daughters of Gaia
- Skyfarm: Neil Jansson of the Sons of Hephaestus
- Lagrange Academy: Layla Al-Battani of the UNSA
- Orbital Surveyor: Appolo Matiba of the Horizon Corporation
You can place these governors in any city you want and, as long as they are placed when you initiate the corresponding satellite's construction, they will reduce the satellite construction time.
Governor Factions and Lore
All of the governors are in a faction. Besides the lore that is in the descriptions, there is additional individual lore. For governor and faction lore, visit this page:
- Main article: Governor/Governor Lore
Certain events can only take place on a world when you have governors assigned to cities.
- Main article: Governor/Governor Events
List of Governors
|Name||Faction||Effect 1||Effect 2||Effect 3||Power Boost|
|Zhou Xi Wang-mu Lee||Daughters of Gaia||Heat Reduction||Biomass Growth||Construction Cost||Yes|
|Te Hau Arataki||Sons of Hephaestus||Heat Growth||Habitations||Construction Time||Yes|
|David Munoz||UNSA||Pressure Growth||Population||Upgrade Time||Yes|
|Nubia Matiba||Horizon Corporation||Pressure Reduction||Revenue||Upgrade Cost||Yes|
|Rebecca Freyja O'Rourke||Daughters of Gaia||Oxygen Growth||Biomass Growth||Biomass Consumption||Yes|
|Rex Jansson||Sons of Hephaestus||Oxygen Reduction||Habitations||Facility Maintenance||Yes|
|Buzz Sullivan||UNSA||Water Growth||Population||Birthrate||Yes|
|Vivica Matiba-Cavalcanti||Horizon Corporation||Water Reduction||Revenue||Culture Revenue||Yes|
|Name||Faction||Effect 1||Effect 2||Effect 3||Effect 4||Power Boost|
|Keahi Malae||Far-Future Institute||Heat Reduction||Facility Maintenance||Construction Time||Space Elevator construction time||Yes|
|Alana Freyja Lee||Daughters of Gaia||Biomass Growth||Biomass Consumption||Construction Cost||Soletta construction time||Yes|
|Neil Jansson||Sons of Hephaestus||Habitations||Facility Maintenance||Construction Time||Sky Farm construction time||No|
|Layla al-Battani||UNSA||Population||Birthrate||Upgrade Time||Lagrange Academy construction time||Yes|
|Appolo Matiba||Horizon Corporation||Revenue||Culture Revenue||Upgrade Cost||Orbital Surveyor construction time||Yes|