Earth is the cradle of civilization and the only known home of life in the universe, but it is under threat. Climate change is altering our planet rapidly, and the effects are accelerating.
In order to save our world, you must slow the increase of atmospheric gases and return the planet to a stable sustainable pattern. Preferably, before any massive ecological die-offs or societal collapse.
Earth is the third planet from the sun and one of the five worlds available in TerraGenesis for free (unlocked after achieving Victory on Venus, which in turn is unlocked by Victory on Mars). It is one of two planets that already have cities when you start (unless you count Native Civilizations), the other being Lethe.
Earth has a special event that spawns a native civilization. This event does not happen on any other world.
Information for Terraforming
Earth starts with 12 cities positioned and named after major regions of the world, such as North America, Western Europe, Central Asia, etc. The cities have no terraforming buildings - not even a basic Hab Unit. However, due to Earth’s habitability, there are large starting populations already spread out on the surface around each city.
Players will be faced with a couple of immediate problems:
- Under Temperature, there is a permanent increase by 10 millikelvins per minute, titled "Climate Change". If it is not compensated for, it will cause ice to melt and make the sea level become too high. A simple Cooling Plant IV can quickly solve this issue at the start of the game.
- A large amount of Biomass is provided at the start. However, it is falling at over 1,200 Mt per minute, because the population is way too large to support the planet's inherent biomass growth features. With no Habitation buildings to feed the large population centers, biomass management will the the first priority. Do not construct any buildings that increase population growth. This problem does not apply to Beginner mode or on Biospheres.
- If you are playing with the Biospheres feature, your plant species will be producing excess oxygen, not used up by your animal species. Build a couple of oxygen filters. While it is not directly visible, human consumption will still have a gradually increasing negative impact on species health while playing in Biospheres mode, making it necessary to enact conservation efforts to preserve the health of individual species. If you don't fix the changing climate, all of your species will go extinct, and that will affect your terrestrial plant support number. If that number falls below 9, Earth will still become uninhabitable.
- In Expert mode biomass, there will be a permanent -24 ppm O2 decrease titled “Stable Biosphere“. There is also a permanent "Population Maintenance", which causes your credits to fall. These two problems only apply to Expert mode.
Here are some tips to solve issues around plummeting biomass:
- You will probably need to spend some GP (Genesis Points) to quickly research coral reefs, which you will need to build a lot of to offset the plummeting biomass. GP can be earned by watching ads coming in from transmissions. Since coral reefs require Algae Colony and Kelp Forest, make sure you have more than 30 GP and go. (Exact numbers will vary. FFI and UNSA will need less than Horizon Corp, for example.)
- Be sure to spend a lot of real time in the game in order to get a lot of sports leagues (The League event) to drastically increase revenue, so you can quickly build the Sky Farm satellite, which will make biomass irrelevant and instantly save the planet. Side with the Sons of Hephaestus for a half-price Sky Farm satellite. You can only build the Sky Farm in Normal Difficulty, not in Beginner or Expert mode.
- After building Coral Reefs, it may be worth spending some time playing to get the Coral Reefs upgraded to Level X by the Wonder of World event to drastically slow the decrease of biomass.
- Assign governors that reduce biomass consumption to the most populated cities (South Asia, East Asia, and so on) to borrow some time that you can use for researching and building coral reefs.
If all else fails, you can stabilize the temperature, build habs in your cities (either before collapse, to save the culture, or after, if that is not possible), and repopulate. The best faction to play with is UNSA.
|Species||Phylum||Trait 1||Trait 2||Trait 3||Kingdom||DNA|
|Psychrophiles||Archaea||Cold Adapted||Cold Adapted||Cold Adapted||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAATGGATGATGAT|
|Thermophiles||Archaea||Heat Adapted||Heat Adapted||Heat Adapted||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAATGGAAGAAGAA|
|Stromatolite||Cyanobacteria||Large||Low Oxygen Adapted||Large||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAATCGGAGTTGGA|
|Coscinodiscophyceae||Diatom||Low Metabolism||Low Metabolism||Low Metabolism||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAAGAGGCGGCGGC|
|Large Diatom||Diatom||Large||Large||High Metabolism||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAAGAGGAGGAGGG|
|Pennales||Diatom||High Metabolism||High Metabolism||High Metabolism||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAAGAGGGGGGGGG|
|Large Plankton||Plankton||High Metabolism||Large||Large||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAAGTGGGGGAGGA|
|Phytoplankton||Plankton||High Metabolism||Photosynthetic||Photosynthetic||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAAGTGGGCGGCGG|
|Zooplankton||Plankton||High Metabolism||Large||High Metabolism||Aquatic Microorganisms||AAAAGTGGGGGAGGG|
|Stonewort||Stonewort||Small||Cold Adapted||Humidity Adapted||Aquatic Algae||AATAGGGGTGATGTG|
|Chlorella||Green Algae||Photosynthetic||Photosynthetic||Small||Aquatic Algae||AATAGCCGGCGGGGT|
|Green Algae||Green Algae||Small||High Metabolism||High Metabolism||Aquatic Algae||AATAGCGGTGGGCGG|
|Killer Algae||Green Algae||Small||Invasive||Invasive||Aquatic Algae||AATAGCGGTCAACAA|
|Marimo||Green Algae||Cold Adapted||Beautiful||Delicate||Aquatic Algae||AATAGCGATGCGCAG|
|Watermelon Snow||Green Algae||Beautiful||Cold Adapted||Cold Adapted||Aquatic Algae||AATAGCGCGGATGAT|
|Giant Kelp||Kelp||Large||Large||Large||Aquatic Algae||AATACAGGAGGAGGA|
|Macrocystis||Kelp||High Metabolism||High Metabolism||High Metabolism||Aquatic Algae||AATACAGGGGGGGGG|
|Sargassum||Kelp||High Metabolism||Large||Heat Adapted||Aquatic Algae||AATACAGGGGGAGAA|
|Seaweed||Seaweed||High Metabolism||Invasive||Domesticated||Aquatic Algae||AATACTGGGCAAGCT|
|Wakame||Seaweed||Cold Adapted||Invasive||Fruit-Bearing||Aquatic Algae||AATACTGATCAACGA|
|Soft Coral||Coral||Beautiful||Delicate||Delicate||Aquatic Herbivore||AAGACGGCGCAGCAG|
|Stony Coral||Coral||Beautiful||Beautiful||Delicate||Aquatic Herbivore||AAGACGGCGGCGCAG|
|Reef Fish||Fish||Small||Beautiful||Heat Adapted||Aquatic Herbivore||AAGTAAGGTGCGGAA|
|Manatee||Mammal||Large||Low Metabolism||Large||Aquatic Herbivore||AAGTATGGAGGCGGA|
|Sea Turtle||Reptile||Large||Low Metabolism||Beautiful||Aquatic Herbivore||AAGTAGGGAGGCGCG|
|Spider Crab||Crustacean||Large||Large||Scavenger||Aquatic Carnivore||AAGACCGGAGGACCC|
|Salmon||Fish||Social Behavior||Large||Domesticated||Aquatic Carnivore||AAGTAACCAGGAGCT|
|Seal||Mammal||Cold Adapted||Cold Adapted||Social Behavior||Aquatic Carnivore||AAGTATGATGATCCA|
|Shark||Mammal||Large||Social Behavior||High Metabolism||Aquatic Carnivore||AAGTAAGGACCAGGG|
|Crocodile||Reptile||Heat Adapted||Heat Adapted||Large||Aquatic Carnivore||AAGTAGGAAGAAGAA|
|Soil Bacteria||Actinobacteria||Large||Nitrogen-Fixing||Nitrogen-Fixing||Terrestrial Microorganism||AACATGGGACTTCTT|
|Arctic Lichen||Lichen||Cold Adapted||Cold Adapted||Small||Terrestrial Microorganism||AACTTAGATGATGGT|
|Tree Lichen||Lichen||Cold Adapted||Low Metabolism||Beautiful||Terrestrial Microorganism||AACTTAGATGGCGCG|
|Black Mold||Fungus||Poisonous||Poisonous||Invasive||Terrestrial Microorganism||AACTTTGCCGCCCAA|
|Bracket Fungus||Fungus||Large||Nitrogen-Fixing||Beautiful||Terrestrial Microorganism||AACTTTGGACTTGCG|
|Honey Mushroom||Fungus||Large||Large||Large||Terrestrial Microorganism||AACTTTGGAGGAGGA|
|Yeast||Fungus||High Metabolism||Domesticated||Domesticated||Terrestrial Microorganism||AACTTTGGGGCTGCT|
|Bamboo||Grass||Large||Large||High Metabolism||Terrestrial Plant||ATATTCGGAGGAGGG|
|Cereal Grains||Grass||Domesticated||Cash Crop||Fruit-Bearing||Terrestrial Plant||ATATTCGCTCTCCGA|
|Lawn Grass||Grass||Small||Domesticated||Domesticated||Terrestrial Plant||ATATTCGGTGCTGCT|
|Tussock||Grass||Cold Adapted||Large||Large||Terrestrial Plant||ATATTCGATGGAGGA|
|Sheet Moss||Moss||High Metabolism||Small||Domesticated||Terrestrial Plant||ATATGAGGGGGTGCT|
|Tree Moss||Moss||Humidity Adapted||Cold Adapted||Beautiful||Terrestrial Plant||ATATGAGTGGATGCG|
|Flowerbush||Shrub||Flowering||Beautiful||Cash Crop||Terrestrial Plant||ATATGTCGCGCGCTC|
|Hedge||Shrub||Large||Domesticated||Cash Crop||Terrestrial Plant||ATATGTGGAGCTCTC|
|Palm||Tree||Heat Adapted||Humidity Adapted||Fruit-Bearing||Terrestrial Plant||ATATGGGAAGTGCGA|
|Pine||Tree||Cold Adapted||Cold Adapted||Cash Crop||Terrestrial Plant||ATATGGGATGATCTC|
|Ant||Insect||Small||Social Behavior||Social Behavior||Terrestrial Herbivore||ATTTCTGGTCCACCA|
|Bee||Insect||Small||Flying||Social Behavior||Terrestrial Herbivore||ATTTCTGGTCCTCCA|
|Beaver||Mammal||Humidity Adapted||Humidity Adapted||Pair Bonding||Terrestrial Herbivore||ATTTCGGTGGTGCCG|
|Camel||Mammal||Heat Adapted||Aridity Adapted||Aridity Adapted||Terrestrial Herbivore||ATTTCGGAAGTCGTC|
|Deer||Mammal||Cold Adapted||Social Behavior||Beautiful||Terrestrial Herbivore||ATTTCGGATCCAGCG|
|Iguana||Reptile||Heat Adapted||Low Metabolism||Humidity Adapted||Terrestrial Herbivore||ATTTCCGAAGGCGTG|
|Tree Frog||Amphibian||Small||Beautiful||Poisonous||Terrestrial Carnivore||ATTTGCGGTGCGGCC|
|Bird of Prey||Bird||Large||Flying||Beautiful||Terrestrial Carnivore||ATTTCAGGACCTGCG|
|Bear||Mammal||Cold Adapted||Cold Adapted||Large||Terrestrial Carnivore||ATTTCGGATGATGGA|
|Big Cat||Mammal||Heat Adapted||Large||Social Behavior||Terrestrial Carnivore||ATTTCGGAAGGACCA|
|Wolf||Mammal||Cold Adapted||Social Behavior||Nocturnal||Terrestrial Carnivore||ATTTCGGATCCACAT|
Note:Shark is labeled as a mammal in game for some reason.
- On Earth, you spend Culture Points towards Unification instead of Independence to achieve victory, although this is merely a name change.
- The date (and mission date) which you play in starts in 2022.
- If you leave Earth alone for a long time, it will become a lava world, due to it has climate change, which increases the temperature by 10 per minute.
- For some reason, Shark was written with genetic code as "mammals", despite clear fact that they are fish. So, if you care especially about realism, create a new shark species that is a fish.
- Additionally, whales are classified as "herbivores", even though all whales are carnivorous. This could possibly be due to the fact that they mainly prey on krill instead of larger herbivores.
- The starting Biomass was increased from 630,000 Mt to 750,000 Mt. But the real amount is about 550,000 to 560,000 Mt and growing.
- Earth will be swallowed when the sun turns into a red giant about 7.9 billion years later.
- Earth's real life temperature is 287,150 mK, the oxygen is about 209,460 ppm, and the pressure is about 101,325 Pa. The reason for these differences is due to rounding made by the devs.
- 14 °C is equal to 287.15 Kelvin, not exactly 287 Kelvin. Once again, rounding is likely involved.
- Earth's average sea level is about 365,000 cm, but the deepest point is about 1.1 million cm, which is the Mariana Trench.
- In Southern Africa, there is a "Plague Outbreak -1,000" in the population tab.
SPOILER ALERT - Victory Text
For thousands of years, that single word has been the goal of conquerors and politicians, scientists and poets, maniacs and saints. But now, finally, the nations of the world and all [number] of people within them are united and focused toward a common goal: the advancement of humanity and our exploration of the universe.
Looking back on your life, you can remember dark times. Famine and drought, disasters of ever-increasing devastation. Climate change threatened to ruin the cradle of humanity, as if the ground on which we stood was rebelling against us. But through focused effort, great expense and the help the scientists from across the world, you were able to calm the beast, and the Earth was saved.
Under your leadership, the [faction] has become the foremost authority on interplanetary hominization. New societies are springing up on world after world, each modeled on your [description of culture]. You've effectively settled the terraforming debate as well, encouraging/discouraging terraforming efforts on other planets by your own example.
A new chapter in the history of humanity is unfolding on Earth. Will you stay to continue on it, or move on to new worlds among the stars?
|Terrestrial Planets||Mercury · Venus · Earth · Moon (Luna) · Mars|
|Moons of Gas Giants||Moons of Jupiter • Moons of Saturn • Moons of Uranus • Moons of Neptune|
|Moons of Jupiter||Io · Europa · Ganymede · Callisto|
|Moons of Saturn||Tethys · Dione · Rhea · Titan · Iapetus|
|Moons of Uranus||Miranda · Ariel · Umbriel · Titania · Oberon|
|Moons of Neptune||Triton|
|Dwarf Planets||Ceres · Pluto · Charon · Makemake · Eris · Sedna|
|TRAPPIST-1||Damu · Aja · Huanca · Ruaumoko · Asintmah · Ostara · Aranyani|
|Fictional Planets||Bacchus · Pontus · Lethe · Ragnarok · Boreas|
|Historical Earths||Vaalbara · Rodinia · Cambria · Cretacea · Dania · Chibania · Ultima|